Sunday, 12 July 2015

Open Top Tiger back from the Dead

Former Southport Corporation Transport Leyland Tiger PS2/5 No.12 on display at Burscough on 12th July
Leyland Tiger PS2/5 CRN 993, with a Blackpool built Burlingham body, was delivered new to Ribble Motor Services as their fleet number 2793 in 1950, part of a batch of twenty vehicles. Southport Corporation Transport purchased three of the 1950 Tigers from Ribble in 1960, converting them to open-top configuration for use on circular tours around the resort. CRN 993 became No.12 in the fleet of Southport Corporation, surviving the takeover by Merseyside Passenger Transport Executive (MPTE) in 1974, before eventually being withdrawn in 1985 at the grand old age of 35. No.12 was sold to a coach operator in North Wales, before eventually ending up as a derelict hulk at the rear of the funfair in Rhyl. The bus was subsequently rescued for preservation, but it wasn't until the current owner purchased the vehicle that it was restored to its present condition over the last two and a half years. This set of photos were taken at the Merseyside Transport Trust's open day at Burscough near Ormskirk on Sunday 12th July.

A rear three-quarter view of former Southport Corporation Leyland Tiger PS2/5 No.12 on display at Burscough
A three-quarter view of former Southport Corporation Leyland Tiger PS2/5 No.12 at Burscough
A rear three-quarter view of former Southport Corporation Leyland Tiger PS2/5 No.12 at Burscough
An interior view of former Southport Corporation Leyland Tiger PS2/5 No.12 on display at Burscough
An elevated rear three-quarter view of former Southport Corporation Leyland Tiger PS2/5 No.12 at Burscough
Former MPTE Atlantean 1551 that was converted to open-top condition for use on circular tours in Southport
Former Southport Leyland Titan PD2 No.54 that was converted to open-top condition by MPTE for use in the resort

No comments:

Post a comment