Monday, 22 June 2020

Saint Petersburg Trolleybuses

Trolza 5265.08 Megapolis 1025 running on battery power along the University Embankment


The first trolleybus route began operation in Leningrad (since renamed St. Petersburg) on 21st October 1936, it ran through Truda Square, Nevsky Prospect and Krasnaya Square (present day Alexander Nevsky Square), its length was 5.8 km. The line was operated by two vehicles produced at the Leningrad Car Repair Plant, later the line was served by YaTB-1 trolleybuses made at the Yaroslavsky Plant. In 1937 a second route was launched linking Finlyandsky Railway Station and Gaza Avenue. By 1940 there were five routes operated by 80 trolleybuses. During the Siege of Leningrad (from 1941 to 1944) all trolleybus service was suspended. In 1947 new MTB-82 trolleybuses were introduced, being replaced by ZIU-5 trolleybuses from 1972. During the 1990s passenger numbers dwindled, and the trolleybus fleet was reduced from 1,315 to 849 vehicles. December 2017 saw the introduction of Trolza Megapolis trolleybuses that can operate over wire free sections of routes using battery power. Today Saint Petersburg is the largest trolleybus system in Russia, with 44 routes operated by around 700 trolleybuses.

Trolza 5265 Megapolis 3502 and the Kunstkamera, the first museum in Russia, built in 1727


Trolza 5265 Megapolis 3519 crossing over the River Neva on The Palace Bridge


A rear view of VMZ-5298.01 "Avangard" 2342 on The Palace Bridge


BKM 321 trolleybus 2431 in an overall advert livery for the Russia 2018 FIFA World Cup


BKM 321 trolleybus 3451 in Palace Square with the Winter Palace in the background


VMZ-5298.01 "Avangard" 3333 in front of the Admiralty building on Dvortsovyy Proyezd


BKM 32100D trolleybus 3108 on route 10 on Dvortsovyy Proyezd


BKM 32100D trolleybus 3108 passing the Admiralty building on Dvortsovyy Proyezd

No comments:

Post a comment